Onkyo TX-SR806 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black) Immediately


This is just a poor quality receiver. While the price and feature set were attractive at the time of purchase, I would not consider purchasing another piece of Onkyo audio or video equipment. In my opinion, the price and feature set were achieved by using substandard components and shoddy engineering. (This is despite the THX certification...what bunk)

I have two units that are about a year old. Each of the units has been returned to Fry's multiple times. Each time Fry's sets up the receiver and confirms the defect prior to replacing. At this point, Fry's will no longer replace the units since they are out of warranty. Thank you Onkyo for my $1,000 worth of doorstops.

Specific Problems:

Living room unit will not switch composite video sources. The on/off switch needs to be cycled tens of times prior to producing a video signal from a composite source. If you want to watch TV...it takes about 15 minutes to get a video signal to the monitor. The unit has been replaced twice and is now out of warranty. I have temporarily resolved this issue by replacing the monitor with an HTMI compliant monitor and using all HDMI components, but still can not easily view a composite video source.

Bedroom unit has developed a "thump" followed by a drop of the sound at random times during operation. Switching between Std and HD TV channels results in a loud thump and bass rumble. Onkyo has suggested that it is the DirecTV unit...but the problem does not occur when my old receiver is swapped for the Onkyo.

Hassle Factor:

It takes about two hours to disconnect remove then reconnect and reinstall a modern AV receiver. While I'm technically savvy and can easily perform the swap, I hate having to do it due to no fault of my own. I can only imagine the hassle if you are not technically adept and need to arrange to have a friend or AV service (ouch) do this for you.

My experience with both of these Onkyo units has led me to believe that these are poorly engineered and constructed receivers.

I can not recommend these Onkyo units.
Get more detail about Onkyo TX-SR806 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black).

0 comments:

Post a Comment