Purchase Onkyo TX-SR806 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black)


I've had experience with this receiver for 2 months.

Recently, I noticed an issue with video. Very minor, however I thought something wasn't right. I've calibrated my setup many times over the years, so I thought maybe settings had drifted. Skipping ahead, I recently popped in a calibration DVD, and sure enough, there were no "below black" bars on a sample pattern.

Turns out, a few weeks ago, another web site reviewed this receiver, and noticed the same issue. I just found out about that today.

Now, if this issue happened when I was letting the Receiver upconvert, or similar, I'd have no issue with it, and just take it as a quirk of the upconversion. It wouldn't matter to me much anyway, as the only thing I'd have it upconvert may be a SVHS machine.

This TX-SR806 clips black when HDMI is set to THROUGH. When I think of through, I think the signal is, well, "passing through" the receiver, without any alteration.

From what I've noticed, this problem may be here to stay.

I suggest, if you are looking to spend this much for a receiver, and video issues such as this bother you, save a bit more money and try the 876. I've not personally played with that model, however I've been told that it doesn't refuse to show, "Blacker than black".

I'm told the 805 is also a nice receiver.

---

Audio - Excellent, no complaints there, other than this receiver does not include MuliEQ XT, and only MultiEQ.

---

I'd give this 5 stars if it weren't for an option that CANNOT BE ADJUSTED, Clipping black.

.

* Edited to add:

I was told by someone who is an ISF calibrator that the clipping of black is not important on digital displays. However if you have an analog display, such as an older HD RPTV, the lack of "below black" can cause video to look a bit different. He explained to me that in an analog display, such as my HD RPTV that it's better for the black level to "float".
Get more detail about Onkyo TX-SR806 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black).

0 comments:

Post a Comment