Low Price Onkyo TX-SR806 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black)


The SR806 is a great AVR from a feature set and price point perspective, but I had some serious glitches with the video processing that required me to upgrade to the SR876. When using the AVR with a PS3 or 360 in 1080P output mode I would get blue pixilation on the screen. Even if I used the receiver in pass-through mode I still would have this issue if the PS3 or 360 was set for 1080P output. If I changed the native resolution to 1080i or less I did not experience pixilation from the AVR even if I upscaled the image to 1080P... It's an odd issue, but apparently the video processor has difficulty dealing with native 1080P video feeds with specific video file formats. Onkyo support was absolutely worthless with the typical responses like "try a different HDMI port or do a hard reset on the unit". The only viable solution was found on AVSforums and this required you to disable the OSD feature, but this solution did not solve this problem for all users. *I already returned my unit before finding this solution...*

If you plan to use the AVR with a PS3 or 360 I would pass up on this AVR unless Onkyo releases a firmware update to address this issue. The other alternative is to upgrade to the SR876 if you have extra cash lying around, because I'm very pleased with the SR876 the better video processor is great and overall sound quality is amazing. I would give the SR876 a 4.5 rating, because I wish the video processor did a better job upscaling SD cable feeds, but overall an excellent AVR.

It kind of sucks the SR806 has the video issues, because the feature set and price is a great buy...
Get more detail about Onkyo TX-SR806 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black).

0 comments:

Post a Comment